Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Tag, I'm it!

Okay Michelle and Kool-aid. Here are my childhood memories that I really miss the most:

**Playing in mud puddles with Jeremy and Joe. After a good rain my old driveway was a virtual swamp and the three of us would play for hours. Then we got hosed off and were let back inside the house.
**Playing in the snow with my mom's dogs Daisy and Lucy. Oh my gosh have you ever seen a fat wiener dog try to leap over a mound of snow?
**Daisy and Lucy being at the bus stop. It never failed they were there with me in the morning, and they would be sitting there at 3:30 in the afternoon when I got off the bus. And when it snowed, Daddy would come and we'd sit in the truck, but Daisy would still be sitting there at the front axle keeping watch.
**Daddy coming to get me at 5:00 in the morning to go eat donuts -- because apparently fresh donuts aren't good enough. They have to be the fresh donuts from the first batch of the day, at the exact moment they are taken out of the oven. I'd always get two blueberry donuts and a Dr. Pepper.
**Halloween costumes. I know that as adults we can still get away with dressing up and going to Halloween parties, but dressing up as a kid and going out for trick-or-treats was special. It was before the religious people in the community started saying that it was the devil's holiday and before all the psychos were putting poison and razor blades in candied apples and tootsie rolls.

Oh! Can I do six things instead of only five? I forgot about this: CABOOSES! I remember when trains still had cabooses and brake-men who would always wave. That was one of the best things about visiting Seward as a kid. When the railroad crossing warning went off, me and the cousins would go stand in the middle of the road and watch as the train went by.

I don't have a blogroll set up yet, so I'll just refer you back to michellecanning.blogspot.com. You might also want to visit Jessica at maraposa-something-or-other.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just hate it that we are so far apart in age that our childhood memories are so different. I do love it though, that my children can share in yours. Someday, ask Debra about the Scarecrow of Rominy Marsh (i think that's correct) and the statue at the pink house. Ahhh, memories and reflections, kinda makes me smile.

Michelle said...

I wanted to say something about Halloween, but I figured I could still dress up now. Last Halloween I hid in my house and didn't pass out candy. I was in a real bad funk. It was kinda cute to hear the little Japanese kids trying to say Trick-or-Treat right. Glad you played along!

Julia said...

I'm just glad that I didn't have to dig too deep to find some good memories. I'm glad I played along, too.