Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Just grab your camera and head for the balcony...



About one month ago the tornado sirens started going off downtown. And as every redneck in my complex knows, this is the signal for everyone in my complex to run outside, point at sky and grab your trick knee and say 'Gee whiz Maynard there's a storm a comin!' Unless you're me -- in which case you grab a blanket and pillow, throw them in the entry way (the smallest inside corner of the apartment) then you grab your digital camera, run to the balcony..........and play the waiting game..........leaving the TV on the local ABC channel because they have the best weather coverage.



This is the front edge of a storm front (How gay was that?!? But what else are you supposed to call it?!?) This tornado hit the El Reno area and moved eastbound along I-40 toward downtown OKC (my neck of the woods). I'd run back inside every 10-15 minutes to get an update on the weather...which, of course, was totally stupid because I was standing outside on the balcony watching the events unfold, unleash, whatever.



I took the date/time stamp off my camera, so it's a 'guestimate' that these last few pics were taken between 8:30 and 9:00 p.m. What little sunlight was left was absolutely gorgeous and amazing! I think I'm finished with my black & white phase, and am now fascinated with light.



I printed this one off for 'the mother' and she nearly drove me nuts with all her rotating and 'hmmm' mumbling. Finally I said "Hey Ma! Look at Australia and New Zealand!" How else are you supposed to tell top from bottom?!?



This is the end (thank you Jim Morrison) My batteries died and as I stepped back indoors to switch them, lightning hit a transformer across the street from the complex. I remember my exact words at the time...I'm pretty sure they rhymed with moldy spit. During the light show someone outside starting screaming, so I ran outside half naked (I was actually wearing socks........................................and a T-shirt). My new idiot moron redneck neighbor is out on his patio laughing his head off. Bastard...and to think that I was concerned about someone being hurt...you know sometimes I really do hate people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome pictures..hope you don't blow off the balcony!!

is it 06-07 yet??